Search

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How Long Have You Been Writing?

I started writing about two and a half years ago; and when I say "writing" I mean fumbling through stories that had absolutely no plot, no arc, and pretty much raced through twenty or so thousand words and then spend forty on the big climactic ending.


Yeah, it blew.

But I was sitting here a little while ago and just thought "Holy crap, I've been writing for years!" I guess it still feels like I just started doing it and then all of a sudden here I am, roughly 1,000 days, a writing course, and two years worth of NaNo later.

Time flies when you're having fun, and I am most definitely having fun. :-)

How about you? How long have you been writing?

Are you like me, with dozens of unfinished manuscripts, or have you actually completed something? Lol.

Ps: Anybody like me, please speak up. Most days I feel like an idiot for having such a short attention span! :-) And to anybody NOT like me... I'd tip my hat to you, if I were wearing a hat...

Keep those words flowing writing friends.

Megan.

5 comments:

  1. I'd say you're right on track! I've been writing for two years and have completed a MS with a lot of editing to do. I've done very little else in the writing category. Am I one of those people that can only do one thing at a time? I don't know. I'm only recently realizing that writing is a craft, and like any other craft, it takes time and experience. But I want it right NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't have anything "finished" and I'm coming up on six years of writing novels. I can get the rough draft out and the first few rounds of edits, but I've never gotten to the point where I am confident about querying.

    There are a lot of us out there who jump from project to project, and I think I've learned more about writing doing that than just sticking to one project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three years, 6 finished novels, 2 short stories, and about 8 incomplete projects. I like to work on several at once, until I begin revising/editing. Don't worry, not everything started has to be finished. Concentrate on the ones that fuel your passion. It always comes out in the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Megan.

    I've been writing since I was a little kid and I'm now, um, an old guy. I'll just say older than 40.

    I've been an advertising writer for the past twenty years or so, so at least I get to make a living using words. For years I tried to write literary fiction, but without a lot of success. I took a break with fiction for a number of years, and then discovered that I should write the type of books I liked a a kid. That's when I found my voice.

    My first MG novel, written a few years ago, got a few requests but no takers. My second novel is a YA paranormal and is out with a few agents right now. While I'm waiting to hear back, I have started a new MG that I am really flying on. It seems to be writing itself. I hope (fingers crossed) to get an agent this year for one of these books.

    So, long story, I've been writing since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it feels like I've been writing forever (as in I can't remember what life was like before writing), but then I remember it's only been 3 years. I had to check my mind about that this morning, because I keep wanting to add to the total, but it was Dec 2008 that I started (for realz, not dorking around). So three years. It's been an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete